Sunday, May 10, 2009

 

FIRST THE PRELUDE

 

this is my 1st attempt at anything like this ,I have always been on the other side…..yeah you guessed it right reading others creation.. And from my rich past experience I very well know that ‘short is indeed sweet’ so I have tried to keep this within reading proportions.I wont brand myself as one who is  political but considering the recent sequence of events..its politics that has been hogging the imagination of public besides of course occupying unilmited space in all forms of media….so  its more like flowing with the tide.

 

NOW THE ISSUE

four phases of polls have elapsed and only the last phase ,to be held on 13th May, is remaining. Over the past few months politics has covered the imagination of one and all and I surely don’t see myself as an exception. The people of India have voted their choice and the verdict would be out on 16th May, till then we can only make speculations.If you ask my views I would say the Congress party is going to be the single largest party again but considering the result of the exit polls of various newspapers and channels BJP is also not far behind. The UPA government has succeeded in holding people’s belief in them and the latest trends show that UPA will have more seats than NDA. What worked against BJP is the lack of a solid agenda. They have only one major agenda ‘ Hindutva’ and I believe too much of Hindutva is dividing the society. New leaders like Varun Gandhi preferred being inducted into the Indian political scene by heralding themselves as the ‘Champion’ or ‘Messiah’ of Hindutva forces rather than opting for something like ‘Obama-esque’ call for change.

May be I am expecting too much.!!!! The Hindutva agenda which brought BJP into the power in 1999 is no longer relevant today rather it is dividing society which is already reeling under the apprehension and fear caused by twin factors of terrorism and economic crisis.At a time when confidence amongst citizen is at an all time low propagating such agenda would not do much good for the country. As compared to BJP, Congress has kept its campaign simple and sticked to the agenda of development. I do have a soft corner for the Congress and I hope the ‘Real’ Gandhi power again propel Congress ( UPA ) to the power – ‘JAI HO’. 

                

8 comments:

Shiva said...

Very good attempt! But i go the other way.. Its going to be BJP I beleive which is going to rule us and I beleive BJP are stronger when it comes to providing security which is one of the major concerns in Congress Govt BJP's economic policies are also good enough and I beleive its the time to adapt to change that is going to happen for the good.

Suchi said...

I beg to disagree Shiva..I dont have much faith in any of our political parties, but i would definitely not want it to be the BJP with its obsession with 'Hindutva'. What security are we talking about when the party's beliefs are going to stir up unnecessary conflicts, unrest and riots in the country.. A party which is so blinded by religion, that it can hardly focus on anything else. How in the world would it run a govt. in an unbiased and fair manner..??

Sunny said...

Well nice attempt...
lets analysie it a bit more.. in 2004 BJP had the agenda of "feel good" factor... they believed they've done far better than any other government in their tenure of 5 years(which i believe they actually did)... so they wanted to capitalise on that by going for elections around 6 months in advance...But you know what happened... it was not Congress' agenda or their philosophy(so called seculars) but the dissatisfaction with BJP that brought congress into power cause that was the only other alternate.
Now talk about exit poll. In 2004 exit polls predicted BJP led NDA getting around 260-270 seats. And a day before results, when A.P. assembly results came in which TDP was washed out, exit polls were modified predicting BJP led NDA to get around 250 seats, still ahead of congress. But you know what really happened.

I dont want to predict who will come to power, but would surely like BJP to win cause I'm really fedup with Congress in centre as well as in state. Look how prosperious Gujarat has become. Look at the improvement in Chattisgarh.

Pour in more arguments if you you disagree with me.

---- Sunny

Bala said...

It's a relevant and interesting topic.
My view is that, "Great economic polices had always surfaced only during the congress government. It's the Rajiv gandhi government which started the process of de-licensing the industry and easing the US relations. Later on in 1991, Dr. Manmohan was instrumental in liberalizing the economy, dis-investing and bringing the competitiveness to the industries in Toto. Greatest macro economic movements happen only in congress reign. I sincerely hope they should retain the power to guide India to bounce back to the growth rate of 9%. Politics should also be coupled with good economics for a good governance.That makes congress the obvious choice to me.....

suruchi said...

@sunny
I totally agree with u sunny that we cant go by whatever exit polls say but the point to note is that the strong holds of BJP already reached its optimum during the last polls( 2004).In Rajasthan it garnered 21/25,in MP 25/29, in Chattisgarh 11/12 and in K'taka 17/28.So from this we can see that there is already a level of saturation and from this level it cant go high, it can either maintain or loose some seats.The only states where it can improve its performance are Bihar, Jharkhand and Gujarat.So this kind of offsets the whole equation and BJP may end up getting more or less the same no. of seats as it got the last time.So Sunny, there is no question of prediction or relying on exit polls as its more out of logic.

suruchi said...

@sivaram
one cannot say that terrorism is a recent activity witnessed only during UPA rule. The previous regime of BJP also witnessed several incidents like Kandahar hijack, attack on Parliament house and Akshardham temple..etc.. So instead of pointing fingers at each other one should realise that terrorism is a global phenomenon and its solution is not entirely political.

Bala said...

Well Suruchi. It's a nice topic discuss especially when elections are in its final stage. I'm personally of the opinion that, Congress government had shown a consistent performance in the Macro economic variables operating in India.Take for instance the De-licensing of the industries or placating the hostility of the big daddy (US) during the Rajiv Gandhi rein or the Liberalization and dis-investment spree started during 1991 by Dr.Manmohan were the greatest Macro economic changes that transcended the Indian competitiveness in the Global arena.Looking at the present scenario of downturn we need the Congress again back in power to employ sensible macro economic variables to ensure the growth bounce back to the pre Sep-08 levels. I think we need a blend of good politics and Economics. That makes Congress the obvious choice......

Shiva said...

madamoiselle !! What i meant when i mentioned that terrorism is a major issue is that Congress has actually removed some of the strict laws which were very restrictive. And i personally beleive that very strict laws are very essential to avoid or lessen terrorism and BJP would definitely do far more better than congress in that case.